Porcelain Dental Crowns From Your San Diego Cosmetic Dentist
How Barbara Young DDS Saves Cracked and Broken Teeth
One of the most common procedures here at Barbara Young DDS in San Diego is placing a crown, particularly when the cosmetic problem is too extensive to be addressed by another treatment like whitening or veneers. Dr. Young will place crowns to help out with many different dental health problems. Some of those include:
- Covering a dental implant.
- For a cosmetic modification.
- Protecting a broken tooth or one that has been severely worn down.
- Covering misshapen or severely discolored teeth.
- Protecting a weak tooth from decay or holding parts of a cracked tooth together.
- Restoring an already broken tooth from further damage.
- Holding in a dental bridge.
What Are Crowns Made Of?
Crowns are made of different types of material. Early in dentistry, crowns were made from metals and stainless steel. Here at Barbara Young DDS, we use porcelain crowns. The reason that we recommend porcelain is because of its strength and cosmetic appeal. Porcelain provides a better color match than other materials. It is also better for persons who have metal allergies.
How Long Do Dental Crowns Last?
Crowns last between 5-15 years depending on the amount of wear and tear and your oral health habits. After we place your dental crown, you’ll want to stay away from chewing ice and other hard materials, grinding your teeth, biting your fingernails, and opening packages with your teeth. This will help your crown last for as long as possible.
To schedule a consultation regarding a dental crown, give us a call at (858) 273-7777 or email us.
We look forward to hearing from you.